This mill was built in 1828. That same year improvements were made to the port of Cemaes to accommodate increasing trade with Liverpool and the mill was built with the prospects of this in mind. It was built on land owned by Hugh Williams and went through a succession of millers through the years, including William Rowlands, brother of the miller John at Melin Drylliau.
Few windmills were still operating on Anglesey by the late 1920s but Melin Cemaes managed to continue by the installation of a diesel engine to drive the millstones. It continued throughout the Second World War but eventually closed down in 1946.
It remained in relatively good condition and still had its machinery intact, and was considered for restoration to working order by the Anglesey Council in 1954. However it was decided to restore Melin Llynnon instead. After this the machinery was scrapped and the condition of the tower declined through to the late 1970s. At this point the owner received planning permission to turn it into a dwelling, a process that took several years.
See other images of this windmill at:
- Windmill World
- Amlwch History
- Images taken in 1936 and 1939, from the Donald W. Muggeridge Collection of Mill Photographs, University of Kent, Canterbury
View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map