Anglesey County Flag

Anglesey Flag

 

This flag was registered as the official county flag of Anglesey by the Flag Institute in 2014, after an online campaign. The design is derived from arms attributed by mediæval heralds to the locally-celebrated ruler, Hwfa ap Cynddelw. He was from the Presaddfed Estate near Bodedern and lived in the 12th century. This was the time of Owain Gwynedd, Prince of Wales, and Hwfa was said to have been his steward. He was also founder of one of the Fifteen Tribes of North Wales, and many local landowning families claim descent from him.

The first reference to this coat of arms is in the work of the fifteenth century bard Lewys Glyn Cothi. This design also forms part of the Anglesey County Council coat of arms (granted in 1954 and shown below), and was used for the Anglesey Constabulary between 1857 and 1950, as well as in the Anglesey Fire Brigade logo.

The story of the campaign to make this the official Anglesey County Flag, along with many photos of the flag being flown, can be seen at the Association of British Counties website.

A 5' x 3' Anglesey flag can be purchased from WorldFlagShop.com.

 

A book by Warren Kovach, author of this web site
Anglesey Through Time


We're on Twitter & Facebook


 

About Anglesey History

This is a web site developed by Warren Kovach to celebrate the history of the Isle of Anglesey, North Wales.

Home | Anglesey History | Anglesey Natural History | Windmills
Antique Maps | Places on Anglesey | Photo Gallery | Books about Anglesey
Weather | Kovach Computing Services

Copyright

Copyright © 1995-2017 Warren Kovach, Anglesey, Wales. All Rights Reserved. The photographs and text on these pages may be downloaded and viewed for your own interest, but you MAY NOT distribute them, reproduce them on other web sites, or use them in any form for any commercial purpose without the express permission of the copyright holder.

Last modified 2 January, 2017