Melin Newydd (Tre'rddol)
This mill is the most recent of several on Anglesey that have been converted into dwellings in the past five years through 2009. This one has the distinction that the story of its conversion was featured in a Channel 4 TV program in April 2010 called "Restoration Man", hosted by George Clarke.
This mill was built in 1833, making it probably one of the last built on Anglesey. This date is inscribed over the doorway along with the initials OJAFM, which stands for Owen John Augustus Fuller Meyrick. He was the owner of the Bodorgan estate, one of the more prominent estates on the island. The mill itself stands on the estate, in Llandrygarn near the village of Trefor.
Melin Newydd is Welsh for "New Mill". The name probably refers to this being a new mill compared to a nearby watermill, which has now disappeared. The mill was run by Rowland Roberts and later William Roberts in the late 1800s and early 1900s. In the early 1920s a storm caused so much damage that the mill was closed. A photo from 1929 shows the cap still intact and the remains of three arms of the sails. Eventually these were removed and the tower roofed with corrugated iron to provide a sheltering area for cattle. In 2006 planning permission was granted to turn the tower and neighbouring outbuildings into dwellings. This work was just being completed when the above photos were taken in September 2009.
The restored mill is now being rented out as a holiday home. See photos of the interior on their web site.
See other images of this windmill at:
- Windmill World
- Image taken in 1936, from the Donald W. Muggeridge Collection of Mill Photographs, University of Kent, Canterbury
- Amlwch History
View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map