Presaddfed Burial Chamber
At the southern end of Llyn Llywenan, Anglesey's largest natural lake, lies an often very wet field, in the middle of which stand the remains of two Neolithic burial chambers. The smaller of the two has mainly collapsed, with the capstone and another stone leaning against the one upright stone. The capstone of the larger tomb is supported by four upright stones, with gaps where another two stones probably once stood.
Despite them being so close to each other, it seems unlikely that the two chambers were connected, as the more complete southern tomb has one of its stones directly facing the northern tomb, leaving no space for an entrance from a passage connecting the two. It is likely that the two were covered by a common mound, but no trace of it remains.
John Skinner visited Presaddfed during his tour of Anglesey in 1802, and his sketch shows the two tombs pretty much in the same condition that they are today. During his visit he was told that a whole family that had been evicted from their house the previous winter had taken shelter under the standing tomb.
This monument can be reached via a minor road off the B5109 east of Bodedern, leading to the Presaddfed estate and the Anglesey Shooting School (thus the large population of pheasant in the area, as seen in the photo above). You can park at a small lay-by marked with the Cadw symbol, then walk through the gates of Presaddfed estate and up the lane past the lodge house, where the stones are in the next field to the left. It is shown on the map below.
Return to Prehistoric monuments of Anglesey
View Larger Map
See the locations of all the prehistoric monuments mentioned on this site.