There are three windmills along the A5 road through Gaerwen and Pentre Berw and this is the most westerly as well as the highest, being set on a rocky outcrop. It was probably built in the late 18th century and was part of a group of mills called Berw mills, which included two nearby watermills.
It's not known when the mill closed but by 1901 it had been turned into a dwelling, which continued to be inhabited through at least 1929. By the mid 1930's it had been abandoned and began to deteriorate. The Muggeridge photos linked to below show the roof intact in 1936, but by 1939 appears to have been lost.
After this it was reroofed and used to raise poultry. In late 2009 a new house was built on the site, with the walls partially encompassing the old mill tower. The photo to the right, taken in December 2009, shows the rear of the mill before restoration. The pictures on the Anglesey.Info site below show the mill inside the under-construction house just before the front wall was erected.
The photo to the left shows the finished house, with the tower heightened and reroofed. The old chimney in front of the house in this photo is on the site of an old watermill that stood at the base of the craig on which the windmill was built. The watermill was powered by a waterfall that still falls down the craig. The chimney may have been associated with a steam engine built to supplement the wind and water power.
See other images of this windmill at:
- Images taken in 1936, 1936 and 1939 from the Donald W. Muggeridge Collection of Mill Photographs, University of Kent, Canterbury.
View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map