This mill stands to the south of the village of Gwalchmai on land that belonged to the Treveilyr Estate. It was probably built in the early 19th century and from the mid-19th century was run by a succession of millers from the Williams family, through to Thomas Williams who milled there until the 1930s.
The sails and cap were taken down in 1927 and the opening sealed with a concrete roof, but the mill continued to be operated by a diesel engine installed in a shed next to the mill. The drive shaft ran from the shed to the millstones through a cellar underneath the mill.
The tower is still roofed and in good condition. The machinery has been removed but there are still some wooden beams and one of the millstones inside.
See other images of this windmill at:
- Windmill World
- Amlwch History
- Images taken in 1936 and 1939 from the Donald W. Muggeridge Collection of Mill Photographs, University of Kent, Canterbury
View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map