Melin Hermon (Tyddyn Olifer)
Like Melin Newydd, this mill was on the Bodorgan Estate and built by the Meyrick family. According to the diary of William Bulkeley, another prominent Anglesey landowner, the building of the mill was begun on 8 May 1743, making it the first windmill owned by the Meyricks.
In the 1840s the mill was run by Richard Roberts from Newborough, along with John Roberts (also from Newborough and possibly Richard's brother) and John Parry. In the 1850s Robert Roberts (also from Newborough and perhaps another brother) took over and continued to work the mill until the 1880s.
In 1893 the freehold of the windmill and surrounding cottages and land came up for sale. After that it was run by John Griffith, who owned a watermill in the area. He died in 1909 and the mills passed to his sons. The windmill ceased operating around this time and was eventually roofed with corrugated iron and used for hay storage. The tower still seems in good condition, although currently roofless, and could be a candidate for renovation in the future.
See other images of this windmill at:
- Windmill World
- Images taken in 1936 of the side and rear, from the Donald W. Muggeridge Collection of Mill Photographs, University of Kent, Canterbury
View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map