Melin Llangoed (Tros y Marian)
This mill has one of the most stunning settings of those on Anglesey. It is located in the northeast corner of the island in Glan-yr-Afon near Llangoed, and from its prominent position can be seen Puffin Island and the Great Orme (see photo below) as well as Snowdonia and the Menai Strait.
It was built in 1741, giving it the second earliest known construction date after Melin Gallt y Benddu. The exact date it was finished is known to be 19 September 1741, as William Bulkelely of Brynddu mentions it in his diaries. It was built by Henry Williams, who owned it until 1787 when he sold it and the surrounding farm to John Hughes of Caernarfon. In the sale documents it is called "Trosymarian Wind Mill" and the price is given as £1655 (the equivalent of £173,000 in 2009).
It was sold again in 1842 to Thomas Peers Williams Esq, MP for Great Marlow in Buckinghamshire and grandson of Thomas Williams, the "Copper King" who was behind the development of Parys Mountain as the largest copper mine in the world. The mill had three millers in the 1840s, including Rowland Hughes, who appeared in the newspapers in 1845 when he charged Richard Roberts with stealing 20lbs of flour.
By 1851 the mill had been taken over by William Jones, who had previously been a miller in Llanddona. He ran the mill until his death in 1881. His eldest son Owen had been a sailor for the previous 20 years, but on his father's death he returned to the mill to run it until its closure in 1921. During his tenure the mill was auctioned in 1891 and purchased by local landowner Major Chadwick. Owen lived at the mill house until his death in 1936, aged 94.
The mill machinery was removed in 1926 and the tower abandoned. In 1962 the nearby house and the mill were purchased by Stanley Flory. A civil engineer by trade specializing in waterworks he set about installing a water tank in the tower to ensure a continuous supply to his house.
Come the 21st century and this mill, like many others on Anglesey, became the focus of renovation. The plan was to turn it into a self catering holiday home. There was some controversy around it, mainly due to access problems on the narrow and steep roads, but permission was eventually granted.
The photo to the right shows it in 2004 when reconstruction was underway, and the above photo in 2006 when it was almost finished. It is now a luxury five-star self-catering holiday home. Their main web site has a number of photos of the interior.
See other images of this windmill at:
- Windmill World
- People's Collection Wales, an old image and a modern aerial photo.
- Image taken in 1936 from the Donald W. Muggeridge Collection of Mill Photographs, University of Kent, Canterbury
More information at:
View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map