Melin Maelgwyn (Bryn Du, Melin Uchaf)
This is one of two windmills in Llanfaelog. It is the upper mill (melin uchaf in Welsh), which stands on higher ground than the other, Melin y Bont, which is also known as Melin Isaf, ("lower mill"). Both have recently been restored as dwellings in a similar style.
A stone tablet on the tower gives a date of 1789, along with the initials ORK, which means it was built 36 years before its neighbour. For much of its life, up to the end of the 20th century, the mill and surrounding farm was owned by the Lewis family. By 1929 wind powering of the mill had stopped and the sails were partially destroyed, but grinding continued for many years using a diesel engine to power the millstones.
By the early 1990s it was an empty shell, devoid of machinery and floors and was used for storage, but in 2005-2006 it was restored and converted to a dwelling (see picture of it during restoration here).
See other images of this windmill at:
- Windmill World
- Image taken in 1939, from the Donald W. Muggeridge Collection of Mill Photographs, University of Kent, Canterbury
View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map