Melin Manaw

Little is left of this mill. There is just a semi-circle of precariously balanced stones alongside a ruined building, near the Tre-Iorwerth estate.

Until recently it was not known when this mill was built or abandoned. However, in 2015 a reader of this site contacted me regarding a number of 19th century documents about the Manaw farm that had passed down through the family from her great-great-great grandfather Edward Jones, who owned an interest in the farm. One document, an underlease dated 1830, states that Manaw windmill was built two years earlier by John Hughes, Hugh Hughes and William Hughes, who were millwrights from the Cefn Coch mill, on land farmed by John Hughes.

In the 1840 tithe apportionment records, the mill and surrounding land was owned by John Griffith and occupied by Richard Williams, who ran it until 1851. In that year the mill is mentioned in Edward Jones' will, where he bequeaths it to his grandson William Jones. He appears in the 1861 census as the miller, but he later went on to run Mona Mill and Melin Adda in Amlwch.

The mill isn't mentioned in the censuses after 1861, nor is anyone in the immediate area listed as a miller, so it may have been abandoned in the 1860s. In 1919, when the surrounding farm came up for sale, the mill is not mentioned as all, indicating that by this time it was disused and of little interest to a buyer. The 1936 photo from the Muggeridge collection (where it is named "Tre-Lowerth", a misspelling of Tre-Iorwerth) shows it as capless but with the tower still intact.

See other images of this windmill at:

  • Image taken in 1936, from the Donald W. Muggeridge Collection of Mill Photographs, University of Kent, Canterbury
  • Anglesey.Info

Next Melin Newydd, Tre’rddol, or go to gallery.

Aerial image


View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map
 

A new book by Warren Kovach, author of this web site
A-Z of the Isle of Anglesey


We're on Twitter & Facebook

Like us on Facebook Facebook

Follow us on Twitter Twitter



 

About Anglesey History

This is a web site developed by Warren Kovach to celebrate the history of the Isle of Anglesey, North Wales.

Copyright

Copyright © 1995- Warren Kovach, Anglesey, Wales. All Rights Reserved. The photographs and text on these pages may be downloaded and viewed for your own interest, but you MAY NOT distribute them, reproduce them on other web sites, or use them in any form for any commercial purpose without the express permission of the copyright holder.

Last modified 29 January, 2019