Melin Pant y Gwydd
This mill is hard to find as it is along a narrow, remote road and is built into a house facing away from the road. Little is known about its history today, but it once was famous enough to be mentioned in a poem about Anglesey mills:
|Melin Llynon sydd yn malu,
Pant y Gŵydd sy’n ateb iddi,
Cefn-Coch a Melin Adda,
Llanerch-y-medd sy’n malu ora.
|Llynon Mill is grinding,
Pant y Gŵydd is answering,
Cefn-Coch and Adda Mill,
Llanerch-y-medd grinds best of all.
It's thought that it was built in the first half of the 18th century. By 1825, when the freehold of the farm and mill was auctioned it was occupied by Hugh Williams. In the 1840s it was run by John Roberts and his son Thomas. The owner was John Utterten. It seems to have stopped working sometime after this, as the later occupiers do not list milling as their occupation, and the property isn't marked as a mill (even a disused one) in OS maps from the later 19th century.
It is likely that it eventually closed earlier than many windmills because of its misjudged location. It is on high land and well exposed to wind, but the surrounding farmland is very rocky and poor and is unsuitable for growing grain. Farmers growing grain were probably more likely to take it to other mills closer to their farms.
See other images of this windmill at:
More information at:
View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map