Melin y Pant
The remains of this windmill stand next to a dilapidated farm building on the Pant y Gaseg farm near Bull Bay and is itself in very poor condition. Its proximity to windswept cliffs means that it was well sited for wind power, but has also probably contributed to its decline.
Little is know about the mill except that it was marked as already disused on an 1899 Ordnance Survey map. It is a small mill, which didn't have enough room inside for a millstone, so it was probably used to drive machinery in the adjacent building.
The farm itself was run by Richard Thomas from at least the 1840s until his death around 1865, when he was in his 80s. It was then taken over by his bachelor son Owen, who farmed it until the 1890s when it was then being run by his elder siblings William and Elizabeth. In the early 20th century it was farmed by William's son Michael.
See other images of this windmill at:
- Image taken in 1936, from the Donald W. Muggeridge Collection of Mill Photographs, University of Kent, Canterbury
More information at:
View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map