This mill is also known as Melin Minffordd and Melin Maen Arthur (the name of a nearby hill). Nothing is known of its origin and it first appears in the historical records in the 1840s, when John Parry was running the farm Tynllidiart, which included the windmill and nearby watermill. His son Robert was living nearby at Tyddyn Fadog, where he listed his occupation in the 1841 census as miller. After John died in 1859 Robert moved into Tynllidiart and hired Robert Thomas from Holyhead as his miller. He was a loyal employee, living at Tynllidiart and working the mill until the 1890s.
Two of Robert Parry's sons moved to Liverpool to work as joiners near the docks, but the youngest son, Morgan, moved back to the Island when his father retired around 1890 to take over the farm and mill. Robert died in 1904 and Morgan soon followed him in 1908. Morgan's wife Elizabeth continued living at the mill until at least 1911, running the farm, but the mill probably closed around this time.
As is usual it deteriorated so that by 1929, when Rex Wailes surveyed mills in England and Wales, it had lost its cap, although the machinery and one sail were still in place. In the 1970s it was converted into a dwelling, as is seen now. When it was sold in 1982 the new owners found some of the old machinery. These were donated to the restorers of Melin Llynon for use there.
See other images of this windmill at:
- Windmill World
- Menter Mechell History Society
- People's Collection Wales, a modern aerial photo.
- Image taken in 1936 from the Donald W. Muggeridge Collection of Mill Photographs, University of Kent, Canterbury
More information at:
View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map