Melin y Gof (Stanley Mill)
This mill has the distinction of being the last working windmill on Anglesey until Llynnon Mill was restored. It stands looking out over the Inland Sea near Trearddur Bay, and derives the name from the local landowning family the Stanleys.
The date of 1826 scratched into the stonework gives a possible date of the beginning of construction, and it was finished a year or two later. Nothing is known about its early years, but from the 1880s the last three millers were Robert Morris, Owen Owens and Alfred Jones. Jones was the miller when it closed in 1936. The Times newspaper carried a photograph of the mill in its 16 September 1936 edition noting that it had just closed, being the last working windmill on Anglesey.
The Muggeridge photos from 1934 and 1936 below show the mill and sails in good working condition. However, the 1939 photos show a great change. In November 1938 a storm badly damaged the mill, taking off the cap and leaving the debris of it and the machinery laying at the base.
The mill deteriorated through the decades, but was converted to a dwelling in the 1960s. An additional level was added to the top, with windows all around, so that the new owner could admire the views in all directions. In 2020 the mill was put up for sale, with a suggested price of £475,000. The report in Wales Online has plenty of photos of the interior.
See other images of this windmill at:
- Windmill World
- Image taken in 1934, 1936 and 1939 from the Donald W. Muggeridge Collection of Mill Photographs, University of Kent, Canterbury
View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map