Melin yr Ogof (St. George's Mill)
Like Melin Drylliau, this mill was visible from the sea off the west coast and is marked on Capt. Beechey's sea chart from 1840. It is also notable in that it has most of the original machinery still intact inside the tower, the only one in Wales other than the restored Melin Llynnon. There have been plans and campaigns over the years to restore it to working condition but none have come to fruition. It stands in Kingsland, just outside Holyhead.
It was built, probably around 1825, on land belonging to the Stanley Estate, by the farmer Hugh Hughes. When he died in 1869 it was inherited by his two daughters, Margaret and Mary. At the time it faced stiff competition from a nearby steam-powered mill, but it managed to continue working because, unlike the steam mill, Melin yr Ogof allowed customers to pay for the grinding by allowing the millers to keep part of the flour rather than take payment in money.
The mill ceased working sometime around 1920 after a crack was discovered in part of the structure supporting the windshaft, which proved too costly to repair. In 1939 a storm shifted the remnants of the cap and sail so that they were in a dangerous position. The cap was removed, using both block and tackle and explosives, the later of which left bits of the cap scattered over 200 yards away. After this the top of the mill was concreted over, thus protecting the machinery inside.
See other images of this windmill at:
- Windmill World
- Images of tower, 1936, tower, 1939, tower, 1949, Luffing gear, 1939, and stones, 1939 from the Donald W. Muggeridge Collection of Mill Photographs, University of Kent, Canterbury
View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map