Melin Llanddyfnan (Pen y Fan)
This mill is off the beaten track, on a minor road to Llanbedregoch. It stands on high ground overlooking the mansion Plas Llanddyfnan and with views of Snowdonia. It is marked on the estate map for 1746, so must date from before this. There were regular droughts on Anglesey during this time, leaving watermills with a lack of power, so that several windmills were built at this time, including Melins Hermon and Gallt y Benddu.
Like many Anglesey mills this has little recorded history other than the names of two of the millers (John Gray and Robert Owen). By 1918 it was marked on Ordnance Survey maps as "Old Windmill", presumably disused. By the 1950s it had come under the ownership of Francis Wilson Q.C., the Recorder of Chester. He restored it, for use as a viewing platform rather than a dwelling, by roofing it and installing floors, stairways and electricity.
On 15 May 2007 this mill appeared in Properties section of the Daily Telegraph newspaper as a "Wrecks with potential" property, with planning permission for conversion to a dwelling, with an asking price of £100,000. It was subsequently sold and an amended planning permission application was filed by the new owner in 2008. By 2011 renovation had been completed to turn it into a dwelling with a sizable extension and lots of windows overlooking the magnificent views of Anglesey and Snowdonia.
See other images of this windmill at:
- Amlwch History
- Image taken in 1936, from the Donald W. Muggeridge Collection of Mill Photographs, University of Kent, Canterbury
View Windmills of Anglesey in a larger map